USB adaptor maybe

Ecu Hardware Modifications
delcowizzid

Re: USB adaptor maybe

Post by delcowizzid »

we need apples to buy this FTDI usb and see if it works good enough its pretty cheap really
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah we will see what the outcome is with the EBAY ones, I know mine works at 8192 baud - have it logging right now :D

EDIT... And a pic for good measure :) Just disregard the black wires on the board, double sided boards suck to make so just a single sided for the proto.
USB_Comms.jpg
USB_Comms.jpg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
Apples

Post by Apples »

I got one on the way just need the wiring pin out for old serial port to connect new usb port when gets here.
Then testing will begin.
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Hey vl400 you say your board has 1 wire ALDL does that mean it pretty much turns the 808 into the vr manual 082 with 1 wire aldl to communicate with the BCM and ABS as well if that was the case then yes i think its a great project to continue with as the 082 seems rare as rocking horse shit.i could see a lot getting sold if it could make the 808 communicate with the other in car modules.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Nah the one wire is for going the other direction ie allowing the laptop to talk through the vehicle data interface port or adding this USB board inside the case of a ECM/PCM that has the communications chip.
Apples

Post by Apples »

OK got my usb adapter today went to jaycar so could change the header pins and make adapter cable to use in place of serial adapter.
wire up and worked straight out of the box.
now just have to work out how to mount it.
As for speed I don't know, I think it quicker than serial. :driving:
usb1.jpg
usb1.jpg (829 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Good stuff mate :thumbup: I noticed a slight difference in speed - like 0.2 kb/sec - going to straight USB.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

ive got the other cheaper board that was listed in the link in the first post on its way im going to try it if it doesnt work it will make an OK ALDL cable if nothing else
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

VL400 wrote:Good stuff mate :thumbup: I noticed a slight difference in speed - like 0.2 kb/sec - going to straight USB.
sure that wasn't just the wind blowing in the right direction :lol:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

just checked my mailbox woot new TTL to USB in there.shes a lot smaller than apples one about the size of the end of your thumb and based on some max232 chip copy im not expecting it to work as easy as the FTDI one if at all but it will make a good ALDL cable if nothing else now just to pull finger and try it