TCC Lock TPS 0% 4L60E

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
The1

TCC Lock TPS 0% 4L60E

Post by The1 »

I just wanted to see what you guys think about enabling tcc to stay locked when you back of the throttle completely. My reasoning was it would enable DFCO more thus saving fuel and also would extend the life of the TCC solenoid and gearbox as ive heard the 4L60E only circulates the oil to the external cooler when the TCC is locked or in Park is this correct? It seems that all the holden tunes ive looked at for the VS V6 dont enabled this feature.
Jayme

Re: TCC Lock TPS 0% 4L60E

Post by Jayme »

dunno about the oil circulation but I turned that setting. gave me the shits hard how it would unlock when you coast then delay a second then lock again. its got good engine braking now that it stays on at 0% tps.
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

The TCC lining is about an inch wide and 2mm thick and doesn't like heavy loads/abuse,overunning.....it's there mainly for cruise - light loads for economy.
Thats why its recommended to tow in 3rd gear....ask all the caravan owners with Vn-Vt's and more.
When the trans reaches overtemp,the TCC locks on to circulate the hot fluid until it cools down again.
I set mine to lock on about 85kph and unlock at about 70ish.
Having it locked on under load all the time is a no-no from the auto trans guys as the lining is thin as hell and best to run a trans cooler.
My DFCO settings work best when i drop back to 3rd and doesn't really do much in O/D
What you will save in juice you will pay for in a new converter,but thats why we are here for...to play :lol:
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

A transmission bloke i was talking to says the torque converter lock up is the main cause of stuff ups in the holden auto's so he disconnects it lol.

I done a bypass once on a 4wd nissan patrol it was an electronic tcc lockup override but if you left it on you and had to go back to first to pull up it had trouble and would fight it releasing can't imagine it done the gearbox any favours but it was just about stuffed anyway.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I think you are reading it wrong monaro308..... we are not talking about leaving the TCC on all the time, it still drops off when you go above a certain tps % we are talking about stopping the tcc from dropping out when you lift the foot off the pedal. no high load there.

its not even about saving juice, it just gives me the shits dropping out when I coast round corners.
The1

Post by The1 »

hey guys, thanks for the replys, i tested it and i get into DFCO alot more even when going down a slight incline at 80km/h where as before even dropping back to 3rd manually still didn't bring on DFCO, the only time i can usually bring on DFCO is on a major incline in 2nd Gear, i have read that there maybe a clutch pack or cruise clutch or something in the 4L60E for engine braking and apparently these are not very durable so with my car sitting on 260,000km now and trans hasn't been touched maybe this is the reason i can't get into DFCO very often. My tranny has had a big alloy aftermarket cooler on it since day dot and i always changed the oil and filter every 40k with transmax z.

As above with the 0% tps setting the TCC still locks and unlocks at set speeds it just doesn't unlock when you pull your foot off the throttle and lock again all the time, i dont notice the lock or unlock, mine seems very smooth.

I see there's other settings to unlock the TCC like if you shift up or shift down but none of holdens bins seem to have these enabled, so i dont know why they choose to unlock and lock everytime you shift your foot but not when a gear change happens.

Does anyone know the bin address's for DFCO in the vs v6 bins?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

mine unlocks when i grab lower gears i have a 2 second delay on unlock its plenty to stop it jumping in and out of TCC at 100kmh
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
The1

Post by The1 »

that sounds like a better way to do it, having a look at the settings i can't find unlock and lock kph speeds and unlock delay, does anyone know these? im using ckul $51
The1

Post by The1 »

i got both BWPJ and BTXP and put them in tunerpro and did a comparision as they both seem to be the same bins but btxp has 93km/h lockup compaired to bwpj which is 75-80 from my logs, but i can't seem to see any floating point 8bit values that line up to 93km/h in btxp vs bwpj, anyone got any other ideas? The VR XDF Seems to just used the hex value as floating point for the km/h value for tcc lock and unlock, might this be different for the vs?
darcy

Post by darcy »

The calcuation is (X/2) gives a floating point value in MPH

So for 93kph youre looking for 93/1.609*2 = 116 = 0x74

Is that what you were searchign for?

0x2E05 looks like lockups tables to me for 2nd/3rd/4th.
(17 rows x 3 columns) Presume these are the economy tables?

darcy