Post by inj gtr202 »

How it all looks behind the wheel
Attachments
20230705_193146.jpg
20230705_193156.jpg
Mechcano

Re: Converting 202 to DIS

Post by Mechcano »

Have you tried the old school method, open the throttle width open and a couple of caps full of petrol into the throttle body, then crank it at half throttle to see if it fires?

In your previous post i believe the relationship between TDC and the pickup is correct (even if it's off by 5deg). The TDC and pickup relationship is the same as mind the only difference
is the diameter, the thickness of the wheel and the width and depth if the notches.

20230123_154236.jpg
inj gtr202
cars: LC GTR Torana
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

G'day,

I haven't tried anything fuel wise to get it to fire up.
I've bench tested the manifold with the fuel rail and pump connected and got about 46psi with the fuel pump I've got installed.
Haven't confirmed if the injectors are doing there thing but have noticed evidence of unburnt fuel on plugs after they have been removed.

Trying to avoid too much fuel down the bores as this is a brand new build.
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Wheel re installed.
Checked tdc while cranking and its firing at. 60 later than it should.
So looking at the picture it's firing on the notch lined up with the sensor when it reaches tdc and every second notch after that.

Would have thought it should be firing on the notches 60 earlier or before to line-up with engine timing
Attachments
20230706_154932.jpg
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Just a thought... it definitely fires both leads attached to the coil at the same time??? If not I've made a massive false assumption
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes it fires the cylinder on the intake stroke and the exhaust stroke at the same time. The one that is on the exhaust stroke is known as the 'wasted spark' as it does nothing and is wasted. Its purpose is because the ECU cant tell which stroke its on without a cam trigger. So by firing both a crank trigger is then enough. That last photo looks correct to me, the sensor is on TDC and the +1 is at 70, which marks its partner (the one immediately before it) as the reference for the PCM which is at 60, as configured in software.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Pretty sure spark is sorted :punk:

Turns out a holden 6 will run with only 2 working cylinders if you remove the other 4 plugs.

I've noticed that only 2 of the plugs have shown evidence of fuel being present during this process. I've re tested the pressure and confirmed about 3bar pressure at the rail during cranking. Tested the signal at the injector at one of the dead cylinders with a test light and it flashes while cranking. Leaves me with only one possible thing.... stuck/rooted injectors.

About the only thing that hasn't been replaced or reconditioned.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

inj gtr202 wrote:
I've noticed that only 2 of the plugs have shown evidence of fuel being present during this process. Leaves me with only one possible thing.... stuck/rooted injectors.

About the only thing that hasn't been replaced or reconditioned.
When you say only 2 of the plugs have shown evidence of fuel being present. Were they wet with fuel ? Wet spark plugs will very often not fire. Are you getting any colour on the other 4
spark plugs. Try starting the engine with another set of clean spark plugs which have not been soaked in fuel. You might find the engine will start right up first crank.
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

There where only 2 plugs that had a bit of black soot and the other 4 where dry as a bone like new.

I've now removed the manifold again and bench tested the injectors individually and found as suspected 4 not clicking with 12v put across the pins.

I have at my disposal 6 known working vy v6 injectors but unfortunately I believe they are only 14lbs whereas the current ones are 18lbs (280 150 790) and I'm pretty sure my duty cycle at full noise on my previous tune was around 90%. Where do people get injectors these days? Just roll the dice online?
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

I posted this on a previous thread.

Could use a squirt of WD40 with the following procedure.

It's easy to test to see if the injectors are stuck. Just get a 1.5V Volt single cell D battery or similar and make one permanent connection to the injector and with the other connection flash
it on and off the battery " quickly" and listen for a click. If you hear a click you will know the injector is not stuck.

The reason for using a 1.5 Volt battery is you are limiting the current. Putting a 12 volt car battery across the injector may damage the injector.

If you don't hear a click with the 1.5 Volt battery Slowly increase the voltage by adding another 1.5 volt battery in series. In most cases I have managed to free up a stuck injector.

There has been many cases where all 8 injectors were stuck and I managed to free them up using this method.
Last edited by kojab on Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.