FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Gareth

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Gareth »

An old boss of mine at one point owned an LJ torana sports sedan that ran a turbo 202 reliably for many years, I used to maintain it for him. This is similar to the sump to rocker cover vent system used on his.

torana-turbo-engine-2-nw.jpg
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Ah yes, that makes a lot of sense. Vent the crank to the rocker first, then out the rocker cover. That would negate the windage pressure forcing out via the pushrod holes and help with oil and air separation that might occur if you vented just out the crank by itself.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i originally had a third breather line from the fuel pump hole to the catch can, it was getting a lot of oil up that tube on the dyno so i then decided to use a T piece and put it into the tappet cover via the front breather, but that didnt seem to help either so im not sure....
brindo

Post by brindo »

Is there a preferential side on the engine for breathers to be tapped into? I know on the larger engines you generally don’t mount oil level controllers etc on the RH side due to windage. Same could be true for breathers. Wouldn’t matter in the rocker cover but maybe in the sump.

Great power though.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

pretty sure in the case of this engine the crank would be rotating up and towards the fuel pump hole breather so that wouldnt be helping...
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I bet you shat yourself when that happened. the rings might need bedding in to reduce the crankcase pressure only problem is you can't (legally) take for a drive to do it.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

I’ve got a similar problem with my turbo 265 engine with it experiencing blow back after changing the rings and I assume the rings haven’t bedded in correctly. The compressions are all good and even but it haven’t traveled many kms since the re-ring. Following with interest.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Try an Anti Foaming oil!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well ...... alot has changed in the last few months.

in an attempt to limit oil to the top of the motor i have gotten my pushrods modified with restrictors, i think the hole originally was about 0.080 and they are now around the 0.030-0.040 range so that should help a bit. Basically they cut the end off, and press in a new tip to suit.
pushrod1.jpg
pushrod1.jpg (94.88 KiB) Viewed 37 times
pushrod2.jpg
pushrod2.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 37 times
I have also removed the high volume oil pump and modified a stock one (blocked the filter bypass valve, ported it and port matched to the block - its got a shorter spring than the HV pump so it should allow me to get the pressure much lower than i was able to before ... initial startup and running shows its definitely lower pressure so all looking good in that area (hopefully dyno in a few weeks time)
Oil Pump1.jpg
Oil Pump1.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 37 times
So with all that done and working properly it was time to make a few changes.

So this was the setup i had in the car originally,.
Delco-Ignition.jpg
Delco-Ignition.jpg (118.92 KiB) Viewed 37 times
I've been wanting better data logging and input functionality for a while now and when i got a nice little bonus from work a few months ago i decided to have a little spurge! So there aforementioned logging and inputs was part of the reason i changed, but also the ability to have engine protection was a big thing after the oil pressure issues....
Haltech1.jpg
Haltech1.jpg (102.39 KiB) Viewed 37 times
The Nexus R3 was pretty much the perfect product for what i needed, it allowed me to remove all the relays above, as well as add a few other extras, PWM control of fans and fuel pump, auto start (where the key is tapped once and the ecu cranks the motor over) built in wideband controller, traction control, race timer ..... and much much more :D

So this is the current state of the wiring, there's still a lot of tidy up to do but its at a point where i can take it to the dyno now, and kinda want to give it a good shake down before i button it up too much more.
Haltech2.jpg
Haltech2.jpg (123.47 KiB) Viewed 37 times
One of the extra features i wanted to utilize was the drive by wire ability, so i needed to adapt something to the manifold but i wanted to make it removable if the need ever arose, so i brain stormed for a bit then came up with this little adaptor plate.
TB1.jpg
TB1.jpg (67.11 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Dont worry it has been smoothed off on the outside since this picture :)
TB2.jpg
TB2.jpg (87.73 KiB) Viewed 37 times
So the throttle body is from a VZ Alloytec as i had it and a pedal in stock!
TB3.jpg
TB3.jpg (98.63 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Next on the cards was making a bracket to hold the pedal
Pedal1.jpg
Pedal2.jpg
Pedal3.jpg
Pedal3.jpg (84.41 KiB) Viewed 37 times
It bolts to the original spot the old pedal was on so worked out nicely!
Pedal4.jpg
Pedal4.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Hoping to hit the dyno in a few weeks time, for now, heres a video i took when i got it running ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJHtK12x4_Y
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I almost forgot, during all the wiring madness, the last of the body panels got painted!
guards.jpg
guards.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 32 times
doors.jpg