vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VT S1 LS1 track car

Post by vlad01 »

anyone who does signage, printing, screen printing will have stock most likely.

I got several sheets at work though its regular white forex which is too soft and brittle, the black type its much more structurally stronger.

btw forex is the brand name stuff, the material is expanded PVC sheeting and there will be cheaper stuff which ironically its more ridged and cuts easier making more ideal.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Update.....
I took festys advice and my own peace of mind in replacing the door covers with some board from a my mates cabinet making shop.
Much easier to work with too.
dtrim.jpg
dtrim.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Next up was cleaning the interior ready for painting.
cl1.jpg
cl1.jpg (107.7 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
cl2.jpg
cl2.jpg (89.8 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
I decided on using charcoal/silver hammertone paint which applies easy and dries quickly as well.
p1.jpg
p1.jpg (111.61 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
p2.jpg
p2.jpg (112.16 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Cont:

I finally got around to ordering the cage.
Bond rollcages came to the party (4 days from phone call to delivery from sydney to melb)and
looked after me with a 6 point cage with side intrusion on both sides and i also ordered the cage
with the extra diagonal in the main hoop to carry a passenger if i want/can.
cage.jpg
cage.jpg (116.61 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Another bonus with with a pov pak c/dore is that i found a neat spot for the PCM.
The passenger side non-air bag shute :lol:
pcm.jpg
pcm.jpg (128.95 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
The other pain in the arse was the isolator switch to cut all power off.
I originally had it half setup to operate in the vehicle from my seat but with the headache of buying extra cable and holes in the firewall
i decided it was easier to mount the switch next to the battery and add an extra pull cable for me on the dash.
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
switch2.jpg
switch2.jpg (99.71 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
So that crap is out of the way :thumbup:
Next few days or week will be setting up the cage.....
Stay tuned...... :driving: :driving:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

thats a great idea, the closer to the battery you can isolate the better the safety .

Although I would of mounted the pull cable bracket on the isolator so the cable can still pull correctly even if that area get crushed in.

atm your setup would mean the cable would be too slack if the isolator and cable bracket got pushed closer together and thus might not be able to pull it tight enough to open the switch.

just an idea to play with.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

You are right there.
Thats how i wanted to mount it but didnt have any metal long enough to mount the cables to the same bracket.
It will get done once i get more steel/metal.
Good to get feedback :thumbup:
VNracer34G
cars: VN V6 Production Saloon

Post by VNracer34G »

Holden202T wrote:yes i have to agree, pushing my spooled diff around with slicks is not easy when turning :P
X2, its the only time a appreciate a gravel driveway - and my minispool is still on my bench, my mig locker hasn't let go=====yet

Good thread :thumbup:
Build it, Race it, Break/Bend it ; Repeat.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

I've got a Bond 6 point bolt-in cage in my alfa, I don't know what their prices are like these days but it was great value for money when I bought it 10 years ago.
If you're planning anything more that supersprints, you'll need the battery isolator to be accessable from outside the car near base of the driver's A pillar. The usual method is to mount the isolator switch near the driver, and run a pull cable to the scuttle panel.
I suppose you can always run a second short pull cable - or even a second isolator switch in series with the first, mounted below the windscreen...
Or if you re-locate the battery inside, it becomes really easy to fit an isolator at the dash because the battery lead runs right past.
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

I was quoted anywhere from $2500 -$4000.00 for a basic weld in cage.
A couple of mates run the bolt in Bond cages in their race XY falcons so i went with the bolt in as well.
$1600.00 inc delivery to melb with the extra diagonal in the hoop and intrusion bar for passenger.
The plus side is that its sellable again if i want to.

I do have a cable at the A pillar festy
cut off.jpg
cut off.jpg (175.5 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
And here
switch2.jpg
switch2.jpg (99.71 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
I did have it here
plm and cut off.jpg
plm and cut off.jpg (173.66 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
but the lack of battery cable from the alternator to inside the cabin switch and cable from the battery to the switch
put me off for now.
I'm not even sure what they charge for battery cable per metre these days,but id like to mount the battery in the boot
oneday and have the switch back in the dash.

CAMS reg:
Each automobile of the 2nd and 3rd Category shall be equipped with a battery isolation (master) switch which
isolates the battery and stops the engine. It shall be capable of being operated by the driver in his normal
seated position. There must be a second switch, or a remote means of operating the main switch, from the
vicinity of the base of the A pillar on the driver’s side or, for an automobile with no A pillar, in a comparable
position. This external device shall be clearly marked by a symbol showing a red spark in a white-edged blue
triangle of minimum edge length 150mm.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The car is looking really good mate :thumbup:
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Thanks VL400 im looking forward to its first run.....hopefully in a couple of months.
I'm half way through fitting the cage so i'll post more pics this week
I'm going to have to lash out on rear coil overs to match the fronts before it goes out as well.

Also for any of the Victorian boys,i got told today that the Pakenham motorsport complex has been given the go ahead :thumbup:
If its true,it will be a 3km road circuit for sprints,m/bikes,karts and a moto x track.

cheers

Edit i found this...http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/new-m ... 2drfe.html