Torana SS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
In-Tech

Re: Torana SS

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya All,
Yes, quite the fabricator. I look forward to see. The air cleaner base mounts off of the holley 4bl bolt pattern is insightful forward thinking :thumbup:
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

As a fabricator that enjoys a challenge I really take my hat off to you. Your car is turning out to be an absolute gem. Keep it up.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I definitely get a kick out of making things myself.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

What I enjoy the most about your posts are the fact that it's not based on the 'Step One, Step Done' theory as so many others do things today, meaning they want to do it, but they don't want to put the work into it, to do it, and if it works, it's good enough ... You have the true desire to do what it takes regardless of the need to do it over and over until you reach your goal, which is how perfection is achieved.

Hats off to ya and keep on keeping on!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Gampy;

"What I enjoy the most about your posts are the fact that it's not based on the 'Step One, Step Done' theory as so many others do things today"
Oh, so you mean the old "Close enough for Government work" saying!
Good to see you on here again!

Mike
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I despise that statement!

However, I've deleted my reply to derail the hijack and allow this thread to get back on track ... My apologies for meandering off in the first place!

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Gampy wrote:I despise that statement!

However, I've deleted my reply to derail the hijack and allow this thread to get back on track ... My apologies for meandering off in the first place!

-Enjoy
Sorry, my intent was only to show that in the past, there were those that used to subscribe to that "theory."
MY philosiphy has always been to do it right the first time so as to not have to do it again - even if that meant doing it in steps!
In otherwords, NO HALF-A$$ED BS that has to be done over, either be me or someone else.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I am a firm believer in, if you don't get it right the first time, rip it apart and do it again and again and again until you do get it right because it has been my experience that half assed becomes a permanent problem!

Meaning it will never get fixed if it works good enough!

That is what my original comment meant and why I like what VK_3800 is doing. IMO Shows class ...

-Enjoy

VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Made a bracket for the filter and painted the modified bird bath.

Made up some little brass crush tubes to suit these reinforced rubber rocker cover gaskets. Hopefully these are the right length to allow properly tightening the bolts with just a little crush of the rubber.

VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

To get the throttle pedal in the right position the original bracket needed to be removed, a bit of careful die grinding in a tight space removed the welds and have put that aside. The new pedal requires a new bracket as it needs to be positioned straddling the upper firewall and the inner wheel well.

Rather than fold up something out of sheet metal, why not spend four times as long casting and machining an aluminium part? My sand molds are still pretty crude but slowly improving, although I've discovered that somehow the sand still hasn't dried out enough and is still too wet. I think this is probably the reason for the porous castings, good enough for a bracket though.

The bit that sticks out sits against the sheet metal where the original bracket was welded on. The area looks somewhat flat at first glance but needed a compound angle and a bit of clearance to get it to sit right. The stud on top is double-ended, so it both attaches the bracket to the firewall and the pedal to the bracket. The two 6mm button head screws are installed from inside the wheel well.
It isn't very well finished as yet, would be nice to clean it up a bit more but then again you don't really see it.

This is where the top stud protrudes into the engine bay. The grommet above is blocking the original cable hole for now.

Bracket in place, giving a flat surface for the pedal and room for the carpet to sit as before. The bottom hole is tapped 5/16" UNC (same as the stud) for a cap screw.

With the pedal installed. I think my photography is even worse than my sand casting, you'll have to take my word for it that everything is straight and in the right place. Feels right and the pedal hits the stop just as it starts to touch the carpet.