Time for a change - Ecotec Torana

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
darcy

Re: Time for a change - Ecotec Torana

Post by darcy »

Looking good 202. :thumbup:
Should be a fair a rocket a Torana weight. :D

Is it possible to adopt MAP based code on an ecotec without changing ECU in VS?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

From what i've heard it can be done yes, but its not as simple as changing the wiring for a map sensor ... theres more too it in the coding side of it!!
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

Holden202 wrote:i told ya before, if i do anything like that its gonna be a factory supercharged V6! :rant:
I haven't had too much of a play with the factory ones, but, there is an internal bypass on these which has an effect of reducing boost on low rpm's and/or low thottle press. This is a good thing if you are looking for some economy as it reduces engine loading when you are just puttering around. This is a not so good thing if you are trying to get the most out of it. If you plant your foot, you do not get full boost until engine is over halfway through its rev range! A mate of mine has a VX XU6 which has an aftermarket (tiny) driven pulley, he gets over 10psi of boost from it but not off the line. It will light up the tyres most of the time if you stomp on the pedal, however, my old supercharged VN (which had a small Jap roots style blower@5psi) would light up the wheels at 1/3 throttle! (full boost off the line)

So, there is probably a lot more potential in the factory superchargers even if the standard pulley is used

/end dribble

Dave.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

that wouldn't be a Sc14 would it ? if so i'd say it was so toey down low cause the blower really is too small for that size motor and hense its good down low and too small up high .....

the eaton m90 is a good size for plenty of power and even if it does have this issue you say then a 2500-3000rpm stall would resolve that pretty easily :)

either way i would just go for the factory blower option cause its easier than a turbo :ugeek:
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

Certainly was a sc14, but machined up a smaller pully. I was the first to put one on a commodore, Street Commodores and Zoom magazine did articles on it. Back then, you could pick one up for $100 cause no-one was really using them!

Hi stall without the Eaton would solve bottom end issues! :driving:

Only problem with the factory setup is you need the heads to suit as the injector ports are on the heads rather than the manifold.

I would still like to pull the factory one apart and play with the bypass valve though.

Dave.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I have an eaton m90 off a mustang .... its got a very similar base on it to a square bore carby and then the only other hole is in the back of it (inlet) so it wont have any bypass valve issues :D

one day i hope to post pictures of it on my 202 in the gemini!
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Looking good holden202....i haven't forgotten your knock sensor either and will be posting it next week.
cheers.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

should be looking good by now bet its nearly all bolted in the engine bay
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

monaro308 wrote:Looking good holden202....i haven't forgotten your knock sensor either and will be posting it next week.
cheers.
thanks man, but no rush, i'm up to me asshole in a v6 conversion at the moment :D

on that note, last nights efforts ....

pulled the 202 and T700 out, nothing to report there.

next put a new filter and pan gasket on the T700, was very pleased when i removed the pan and it looked like this inside .... i know its only done about 40000kms but still its good to see it still mint looking - there was also next to no crap in the pan either!
P1030264.jpg
P1030264.jpg (169.36 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
bolted her all together, that was a saga, couldn't use the bolts from the 202 so i had to rape the FB ute for bolts which i can replace later ... either way got the motor and box ready, added a few sensors and stuff from the 202 (temp gauge and oil pressure) - don't worry about the coil pack, had to remove its bolts to get the chain on there :D
P1030265.jpg
P1030265.jpg (189.69 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
finally got the engine in there .... its harder with the box on the back :) got there in the end, Nath couldn't believe the engine mounts just slotted straight on :punk: probably because just about every old holden we've worked on with 202 in them have been bitches to get the mounts into place!
P1030267.jpg
P1030267.jpg (191.12 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
started hooking stuff up after this pic ... got the tailshaft and tranny all done, heater hoses are connected with adaptors ... what a mission :)

high pressure fuel line was fine, return line appears to be smaller size (the fitting in the regulator) so need to get an adaptor fitting and some smaller fuel line to join them together....

today will see the radiator mount modified and the radiator in .... also need to modify the accelerator bracket cause the cable is too slack at full adjustment ... no biggie

then it will be exhaust time ..... initial test fit out of the car says the crossover pipe shouldn't need too many mods, hopefully the swaybar wont change that!

got my realtime chip programmed up with ose $12S so i'll be ready to chuck that in and give her a start sometime after the fuel line is sorted just to make sure everything works of course :)

anyways time to have breaky and get out there!! can't believe i got up at 8am after a almost 2am to bed!!
Apples

Post by Apples »

Looking good and I see the wet suit rapped bottle helped it to happen :thumbup:
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.