Toyota 2TG/3T Hybrid

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
ToyHicko
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car

Toyota 2TG/3T Hybrid

Post by ToyHicko »

Ok some of you know the plans but I'll just run through them again.

Currently a twin side draught carby system soon to be replaced with EFI multipoint injection Control by the 808 running $12P all going to plan. Reason for conversion carby are getting old hard to find parts and people that know how to tune them.

In my possession from Toyota cars I have an EFI manifold for my engine (lucky for me there was an EFI verison) factor ecu and a cut wiring loom either not planned to be used. A Late model Toyota (RA45) Reluctor Dizzy plus an extra point style Dizzy to suit my engine.

From GM and Delco a Camira JE engine wire harness currently getting chopped up to suit my application, A Camira JE Throttle Body, A Six cylinder Throttle body, Camira Dizzy and coil plus several 808 and Memcal, one Modified for NVRAM and USB comms (yet to be tested).

From Nissan some 240zx Injectors modified to suit Wiring loom.

Still require a VSS, fuel pumps (high pessure & lift pump) plus surge tank but one step at a time.

Ok so far the extra dizzy for the 2t engine was stripped and the guts from the Reluctor fitted. Gotta love Toyota's lazy engineering so a mid 80's dizzy and fit in a early 70's with no mods. Also tested the dizzy with the Camira ignition module and coil sweet as a nut.

Next issue is throttle bodys and here is where I need some advise. The carby system current is running 40mm carbys that 40mm per cylinder factory must admit the butterfly is only about 36mm. The factory EFI throttle body is about 50mm but the Camira is about 48mm haven't measured the 6 yet but I think they are 55-60mm so my question is do I go the 6 cylinder or the Camira I can't use the factory with a Delco system. This is a Daily driven car I like a decent throttle control not fully throttle at only 1/2 pedal.

I'll try to post some picture of the dizzy mod and keep you posted on how things are progressing.

Cheers
Jason
Last edited by ToyHicko on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden202T

Re: Toyota 2TG/3T Hydbrid

Post by Holden202T »

i'd pick the size of the TB going off the opening into the inlet manifold .... not much use going any bigger than it!
ToyHicko

Re: Toyota 2TG/3T Hybrid

Post by ToyHicko »

Holden 202
Well that the thing what ever I choose I have to redo the inlet to the manifold anyway for a couple of reasons.
1. The camria manifold tapers into the butteriful making the back of the throttle body bigger then the current opening.
2. The bolt pattern doesn't match at all.

so since I'm making it up don't what to have to do it twice since the camira and the 6 are different bolt pattern too.

All throttle body butterfly are bigger then the heads porting. Is there a way calculate the required size?

Cheers
Jason
Last edited by ToyHicko on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden202T

Re: Toyota 2TG/3T Hydbrid

Post by Holden202T »

i'd probably go the V6 one then....
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

EFI Conversion on hold after yesterday side of car hit. Hoping it's not a write off due to the age of the car and I can finish this off.

Thanks for the input Holden202.
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Update

Car will be repaired thank goodness.
Ok did some diging around and found this site http://dairally.net/daihard/chas/MiscCa ... rottle.htm that is a calculator for working out throttle body sizes and after number crunching smallest reckoned was 50mm and biggest was 63mm As my engine has been stroked which makes the plenum on the small side now so a larger throttle body seems to be go so V6 which is 60mm is go on.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

interesting calculator ... put my straight 6 info into it and it says 65.5mm ... i have a 65mm TB on it :punk:
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Here are some photos for the dizzy and injectors
Attachments
Injectors<br />Left to Right Toyota 2TG, Camira, 240SX
Injectors
Left to Right Toyota 2TG, Camira, 240SX
Pics2.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Modified Dizzy
Modified Dizzy
Pics3.jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
Stock Dizzy
Stock Dizzy
Pics1.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 6938 times
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

A few more photos

One problem just discovered is the 240SX injectors are 0.6mm smaller in dia so sealing on the rail maybe an issues Thicker o-ring may fix it otherwise I may have to make a rail.
Attachments
240SX injectors in Toyota Rail and manifold
240SX injectors in Toyota Rail and manifold
Pics6.jpg (27.96 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
Intake manifold yet to be modified
Intake manifold yet to be modified
Pics5.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 6938 times
What will be the wiring loom when completed but my current Test bench
What will be the wiring loom when completed but my current Test bench
Pics4.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 6938 times
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Just a quick update

The throttle body is now bolted to the manifold via and adaptor plate. Due to hole being so close I had to place it on a slight lean but can't see this changing anything.

Next is it work out mounting for the Ignition module plus the coil. At this stage looking at mounting the module to the side of the dizzy housing and the coil rough where the current one is near the strut tower. Only problem is the need to be extend between the coil and module just hope the extra length won't cause problems.

My biggest problems is going to be finding an "ideal" place for the Oxygen sensor and a suitable VSS to suit Toyota gearbox and cable that is robust.