Converting to Delco from an old aftermarket ECU

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Jackson.
cars: LX Torana

Converting to Delco from an old aftermarket ECU

Post by Jackson. »

I currently have a worked 202 running vk injection with an aftermarket ECU. Tuned some 15+ years ago.

I recently through an SC14 supercharger on and looking to get it all tuned up but the guy that did the original ecu tune and such has sad the ecu in it cant be retuned or something. The brand of the ecu had 'dog' in it somewhere, like dirty dog. I dont know.

Anyway he suggested the delco, but he said to get it from a camira as well as the harness.

Does it HAVE to be from a camira? Like really, im struggling to find anything from a camira for sale let alone the harness and ECU.

Ive been reading around here and it looks like i can just grab an ECU from a VN commodore? An 808?

I think the ECU in it only controls the fuel related side. The dizy is still able to be turned to adjust timing. IF that matters.

Am i going to have to rewire my whole harness due to this weak excuse of an ECU?
Holden202T

Re: Converting to Delco from an old aftermarket ECU

Post by Holden202T »

without knowing what the old computer is, its hard to say, if you could get a picture of it or something might help.

as far as running a delco, you can use a computer and loom from a camira or a commodore, from a camira you need the ignition module, but this can actually be purchased new from most auto shops.

have a look here, http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4 this is a rough guide on the 202 conversion for you, should answer most questions..... and also has bosch part numbers for some of the bits i used.

if your going to run boost you'll want a 2 bar map sensor, other than that most of the normal sensors should be ok, vk efi uses the same coolant sensor, then you'll need to fit MAT, TPS and IAC from VN/VP/VR
Jackson.

Post by Jackson. »

Ill grab a photo of it tonight. So there shouldnt be any reason he would tell me to use a camira specifically? That will make it a lot easier.

So with a VN loom i just need to grab the loom going from the ecu out into the engine bay?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if you use a camira loom it has the relays already in it but will need injectors added to the loom, also has the right plugs in it for the camira module, whereas if you use the V6 loom it has the injectors, but you need to wire in the relays and also the dfi plug is removed and the camira module plugs added ..... so either way there is some work involved, question is, if you can find a camira loom or not, if not then obviously the V6 loom is going to be the go :)
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

The N13 Pulsar/LD Astra used an '808 and their wiring harness is just as good as a Camira for conversions - they use the same ignition module etc and they're a lot more common to find in wreckers these days.
Just check that the donor car is an MPFI, i.e. has 4 injectors and not just one on the throttle body.

They're often cheap enough to just buy a whole car, pull the ECU/loom/sensors etc out and send the rest of the car to the scrappy. That can easily work out cheaper than buying the parts from a wrecker.
Jackson.

Post by Jackson. »

Thanks guys

The tuner finally got back to me this arvo and also said the pulsar was the same. He was just saying camira was easier over the commodore which you have said yourself.

I found out what ecu is currently in my car. SparkDog. Apparently the guy that did the software or whatnot has now passed which is why he can't retune it.

Don't suppose anyone here knows how to tune a spark dog? Haha would save me a lot of money
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

found this web site http://sparkdog_8.tripod.com/software.htm looks to be the right unit if you can download the software can at least have a play
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

I'm guessing it's a Motorola processor, and the specs don't look as bad as I had first assumed - reminds me of an old Haltech E6.

SD8-X's outputs are:
* 4 independent injector drivers (16 Ohm type)
* thermofan relay driver
* safety cut fuel pump relay driver
* 2 independent coil module drivers
* 2 PWM idle speed valve output drivers.

Inputs are:
* manifold vacuum hose
* air temperature
* coolant temperature
* single wire oxygen sensor
* TDC/BDC trigger
* home trigger for sequential operation
* auxiliary AD input for optional external MAP sensor
* serial communications connector for programming and feedback

Options are:
* High power multiple injector drivers
* closed loop control
* digital filter trigger inputs for coil applications
All SD8-X computers come with a flying lead harness
An optional terminated harness with remanufactured Delco connectors is available at extra cost
The Delco terminated harness would mean the sensors were most likely Delco, so an 808/12P swap would be almost plug-and-play...
Jackson.

Post by Jackson. »

Im a little worried now.

Pretty sure my ecu isnt orange with sparkdog down the side.

Ill pull my kick panel off and take a photo this evening.

IF it is infact a sparkdog. What would be the best thing to do. Replace the loom completely or modify my current one?
Attachments
sd8-k.gif
sd8-k.gif (15.5 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
Last edited by Jackson. on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

were you trying to post an image? because all I see is a default picture saying "image hosted by tripod"