ALDL Logger

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: ALDL Logger

Post by VL400 »

Whats the almost part? Open to suggestions on features :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

still more room for program code hey :)
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Yep, heaps left! Its only 40 odd percent.
sparx-1
cars: Vs ute Running VT 304 engine n PCM
Vs v6 auto sedan

Post by sparx-1 »

It wold be awesome if I could log my two EGT sensors I have I assume it is possible just have to set it up in the adx file.
And my be a g sensor would be trick too. that would be a real good sensor to log and show tuning
Performance increases .
VL400

Post by VL400 »

If the sensor interface has a 0-5v output then its just a matter of connecting them direct and will show up in the logged data on TP as a 0-1023 number - you just change the calc to suit the sensor and have it display the units and actual value. If you dont have anything to read the sensors you cant just connect an EGT direct to the logger as the voltage it produces is very small, and the G sensor there are all sorts of analog and digital output sensors. If you have some more details about what you have will see what is possible.
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

VL400 wrote:Whats the almost part? Open to suggestions on features :thumbup:
2 Things I am hoping to do with my Arduino set-up (If I can ever wrap my head around the code), that I don't see in your version currently, are AE, PE, and DFCO LEDs, along with the ability to daisy chain displays.

I figured the AE, PE, DFCO LEDs can save display space for things that need to be more than just on and off. They could be used for other things like closed loop, or any other flags that someone wants to have an LED indication of.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
sparx-1
Vs v6 auto sedan

Post by sparx-1 »

Sweet i thought it would be something like that, the K type probes i have only put out a small voltage and the gauges i use amplify it by 101 to produce a 0-5 Volt signal.

May be something like this from spark fun might be suitable this would do for starters.
they also have 3 axis ones ;)
but this would do for starters.
Single Axis Accelerometer Breakout Board - ADXL193 +/-250g
sku: SEN-09332 RoHS Compliant

open to suggestions on a more suiteable device though.

It would make your ALDL Logger a portable dyno more accurate then using the time scale on a log to check for improvements :thumbup:
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Six_Shooter wrote:
VL400 wrote:Whats the almost part? Open to suggestions on features :thumbup:
2 Things I am hoping to do with my Arduino set-up (If I can ever wrap my head around the code), that I don't see in your version currently, are AE, PE, and DFCO LEDs, along with the ability to daisy chain displays.

I figured the AE, PE, DFCO LEDs can save display space for things that need to be more than just on and off. They could be used for other things like closed loop, or any other flags that someone wants to have an LED indication of.
I like the LED idea :thumbup: Even as warning LEDs it would be handy. The daisy chaining screens could be done with firmware additions, its a little beyond what it was designed for but could be done. Can be either SPI or I2C - there are spare pins on the main processor for select lines if SPI was used.

sparx-1 wrote:Sweet i thought it would be something like that, the K type probes i have only put out a small voltage and the gauges i use amplify it by 101 to produce a 0-5 Volt signal.

May be something like this from spark fun might be suitable this would do for starters.
they also have 3 axis ones ;)
but this would do for starters.
Single Axis Accelerometer Breakout Board - ADXL193 +/-250g
sku: SEN-09332 RoHS Compliant

open to suggestions on a more suiteable device though.

It would make your ALDL Logger a portable dyno more accurate then using the time scale on a log to check for improvements :thumbup:
Logging your EGTs should be no probs with a 0-5v signal :thumbup: I misread your first post thinking you already had a G sensor :oops: Certainly something like what you posted could be used, would prob try find one that has less range (maybe -10 to +10 G) to gain more accuracy. It would be unlikey I add that in as a standard feature only due to the cost and not all would use it. But there is room inside the logger to hot glue one in and wire to an analog input. Or even just mount one in a DB9 shell - the analog input connector has 5V output for powering sensors and boards like this.
sparx-1
Vs v6 auto sedan

Post by sparx-1 »

Yep accuracy is verry important :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Well for a fair while now i've had one of the first loggers, and it did everything i needed from it, but also as my brother is now racing he wanted his own so i bought the new logger and my brother now has my old one....

This one is definately a much more professional product and has alot of nice little features, and niceties over the old version, credit to VL400 and the time spent developing it!!
VL400 wrote:This is possibly the longest project in history, but have totally redesigned the logger to be much easier to assemble and hopefully get a few more made. The original took far too long to build up and had many fiddly parts. Also changed a few things, it still logs to to an SD card in XDL format and uses ADX files for config but the main changes are..

* Aluminium Case
* Graphic LCD
* Rotary encoder (press to select)
* Buzzer
* 4 x Analog Inputs
* 2 x Digital Inputs
LoggerV2_1.png
LoggerV2_1.png (741.61 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
LoggerV2_2.png
LoggerV2_2.png (556.76 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
Splash.png
Splash.png (649.73 KiB) Viewed 5194 times