ALDL Logger

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: ALDL Logger

Post by VL400 »

Yep, can use it for any msg you want. Just store the ADX on the SD card you want to use for logging - its a modified one from what you would normally use (cut down to 12 items for displaying on the LCD and commands that conform to a standard naming convention) but all configured through TP5 just like a normal one. It records directly to an XDL that opens in TP5, a couple of small issues to sort with this to make it universal (the command name and command hash) but its getting there.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

out of interest, what sort of logging speed does it get with the chatter still working ?
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Around 7-8Hz, so not a huge speed hit.

EDIT: Well actually its 3-4Hz, 300mS between heartbeat frames :thumbdown:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thats plenty for 90% of logging tasks!
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

VL400 wrote:Yep, can use it for any msg you want. Just store the ADX on the SD card you want to use for logging - its a modified one from what you would normally use (cut down to 12 items for displaying on the LCD and commands that conform to a standard naming convention) but all configured through TP5 just like a normal one. It records directly to an XDL that opens in TP5, a couple of small issues to sort with this to make it universal (the command name and command hash) but its getting there.
sorry i wasnt more clear before. I have some old logs which were just the reply msgs one after the other from an old program i made, if you had a util to parse it into xdl so i can look at it in TP5 thatd be great. (i used to read them into matlab and plot them through some code i wrote but TP5's alot easier to navigate). Just a thought as what I was after seems to align with what your doing with the ALDL logger. Looks fantastic btw, no more strapping the laptop under the seat at the drags!
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Ahh ok, I dont have any plans to make such a utility - unless I find the logger cant handle the XDL creation. I was originally going to have a conversion tool but am trying to avoid it so things are easier. The header is not hard to create once you know whats in it, Jayme went through and identified the items that changed from log to log - so say log say OSE12P 3 times and compare them in a hex editor. The rest of the XDL is just the raw data stream with a few bytes preceding each frame for file indexing and playback speed.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

thanks ;)
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Firmware is progressing, the ADX parsing and XDL generation code is working heaps better. Can have a full ADX (dash, monitors etc) on the SD, in the description of 12 items you put the number 1-12 and it will display them on the LCD as live data during logging/recording. Then all you do is chuck the SD card in to your PC, open TP5 and load the ADX and XDL on the memory card.

Have also made up a new proto board that has a few changes and also includes the Teensy 2...
Top_PCB.jpg
Top_PCB.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Bottom_PCB.jpg
Bottom_PCB.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Top.jpg
Top.jpg (37.41 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

looks just about the perfect size for my suction cup universal device holder on my windscreen :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

:lol: @ jayme!

nice work VL400, looks very neat and compact thats for sure!

good idea with the 1-12 on the adx descriptions, means minimal screwing with ADX's!